Sarlat-la-Canéda




My friend, la belle Kti, drove me from Bergerac to Sarlat and the countryside changed dramatically. The area around Bergerac is known as Périgord Pourpre thanks to its abundant wine production the vines of which cloak the slopes of the lower Dordogne Valley. As we headed further east we entered Périgord Noir, named for its evergreen oaks with their dark, dense foliage. We passed pretty villages and tiny bourgs (hamlets) while high above fortresses and castles looked down on the Dordogne. It was a most picturesque drive. Sarlat-la-Canéda itself dates back to the late eight century when Benedictine monks established an abbey and I shall look forward to exploring its ancient narrow lanes and courtyards. I am staying in a petite studio at the top of an old stone edifice. I took a photo of the lane leading up to the studio and also a view of the nearby roofs from my garret window.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eschif de Creyssac

Mons 2

Tournai