Bergerac - Jour Penultimate






Here's the young chap back where he started in that delightful ville, Bergerac. It was Sunday so, as usual, I made my way to the Église Notre-Dame for the Choral Mass. A young lady with a lilting soprano voice conducted the singing. It was a magical start to the day. Afterwards  I headed to the Old Town for a final promenade, where I came across an international jeu d'escrime (fencing) between France and the Netherlands in one of the squares On the way I passed a narrow street with some picturesque medieval timber and stone houses, which are still lived in. Nearby was the 12th century church of Saint-Jacques with its amazing façade and belfry. I finished up by saying au revoir to Cyrano de Bergerac. In reality Cyrano is mythical. His genesis goes back to 1385 when the king granted  Raymond de la Rivière land in the Chevreuse valley for winning back Bergerac from the English. Naturally he named his property "Bergerac". In 1620  his descendent, Hercules de Cyrano, was born in Paris and became an heroic soldier. Hercules in turn, was the inspiration for Edmond Rostand's famous 1897 play, "Cyrano de Bergerac". The townsfolk of Bergerac promptly claimed him as on of their own and erected two statues in his honour. It wasn't such a bad idea as people from all around the world come especially to Bergerac to pay homage to him. Tomorrow Katy will drive me to the airport for my flight to Brussels.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Eschif de Creyssac

Mons 2

Tournai